Business Tax Tips – TPAR – All you need to know about – Taxable Payments Annual Report – 28 August Annually

Business Tax Tips - TPAR – All you need to know about – Taxable Payments Annual Report – 28 August Annually
TPAR – All you need to know about – Taxable Payments Annual Report – 28 August Annually

If you have paid contractors and are in certain industries/services (even if only part of the services you provide) then you may need to submit the Taxable Payments Annual Report (TPAR) – here is all you need to know.

The TPAR reports to the ATO about payments that are made to contractors for providing services. Some government entities also need to report the grants they have paid in a TPAR.

Which industries are you in the following industries:

  • Building (includes plumbing, architecture, electrical etc), since YE2015;
  • Government entities since YE17;
  • Cleaning, for YE19;
  • Courier, for YE19;
  • Road freight, for YE20;
  • IT, for YE20;
  • Security, for YE20.

Contractor types – subcontractors, consultants and independent contractors.

Contractor structures as sole traders (individuals), companies, partnerships or trusts.

What to report about each contractor are generally found on the invoice you should have received from them. This includes:

  • Their Australian business number (ABN), if known;
  • Their name and address;
  • Gross amount you paid to them for the financial year (including any GST).

The ATO uses this information to identify contractors who haven’t met their tax obligations.

When to lodge – due 28 August annually

There are different Industries that need to report, and different start dates to begin reporting.

Mixed service business

If your business provides one or more of the relevant services as listed above, you may need to lodge a TPAR.

Each financial year, you’ll need to work out what percentage of payments you receive/sell, are from any of the services above.

If the total payments/sales are 10% or more of your GST turnover (or if you are primarily in the listed industries above) – you must lodge a TPAR.

Even if you are not registered for GST, you’ll still need to check if you need to lodge a TPAR. All businesses have a GST turnover, regardless of whether or not they are registered for GST.

Examples of the types of mixed businesses that may need to lodge a TPAR include:

  • Florists;
  • Building maintenance;
  • Franchisees and retailers;
  • Event management.

Read more at the ATO TPAR

Nothing to Lodge?

If you are not required to lodge, you can let the ATO know, to avoid unnecessary follow up.

Go here to lodge Nil online –

Need help? Not sure? Call for FREE 30min advice / strategy session today!

Email or call 0407 361 596 Australia

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close