Businesses in the building and construction industries need to know how to report Taxable Payments Annual Report (TPAR) – so how do we set up the Reckon/Quickbooks file, how do we generate the report and when is the due date to report?
Here we look at what the 1 Australian Tax Office (ATO) requires and how to 2 Steps to set up and generate a Taxable Payments Annual Report from RECKON software.
1 ATO Requirements
You may need to lodge a Taxable payments annual report by 28 August each year if you are a:
- Business in the building and construction industry;
- Government entity;
- May extend to Couriers and Cleaners.
The Taxable payments annual report reports to the ATO about payments you have made to contractors for providing services. Some government entities also need to report the grants they have paid and payments they make to certain other entities.
Contractors can include subcontractors, consultants and independent contractors.
They can be operating as sole traders (individuals), companies, partnerships or trusts.
See our post HERE, for more ATO detail.
2 Reckon Accounts (and Hosted) – The steps to set up and generate the report are –
1. Enable the Taxable Payment Reporting option in the preference to be able to open the report.
- Go to the Edit menu, choose Preferences.
- Choose the Tax item and go to the Company Preferences tab.
- In the Taxable Payment Report section, click to select the Enable the Taxable Payment Reporting option.
- Click OK.
2. Enable a supplier (sub-contractor) to become reportable on the Taxable Payment report
- Go to the Suppliers menu and choose Supplier Centre.
- On the Suppliers tab, double click the supplier’s name to open the supplier’s profile.
- Click to select the “Include in Taxable Payments electronic report” option.
- Click OK.
3. How do I create this report to have what I need to upload or write on the ATO form?
- Go to the Suppliers menu, click Tax Activities, click Process Taxable Payments.
The Process Taxable Payments annual report window opens.
- Click the Tax Year drop-down to select the tax year you are reporting on.
- If applicable, click the Withholding Liability Account drop-down to select the account you use to track withholding tax.
- Click the (tick) column to select the selected suppliers that you want to appear in the selected tax year’s report.
- Click the supplier to view the transactions for each supplier that are included in the report.
The Supplier Taxable Payments Details – <supplier name> window opens.
- You can review each transaction and click to deselect if you don’t want a transaction that doesn’t apply, included.
- Click OK.
- Click Save to save the changes (if you have made them) in the Process Taxable Payments annual report window.
- Click Export to save the report to your disk. The Select Location for Tax Payment Report File window opens. Enter a file name for the report, we recommend using the date in the file name.
The default location for the file is \\ProgramData\Intuit\ReckonAccounts 2013\<level> 2013\<Company Name>\Export Files\Tax Payment Reports. For Reckon Accounts Hosted users, the default location is “Q:\ “
- Click Save. You will receive a message that the file has been successfully written. If you have electronic key, you can upload the file to your ATO portal.
Note: If you make any changes to the data whilst the Taxable Payments Annual Report Window is open, the report needs to be closed and reopened for it to refresh.
4. How do you Amend the TPAR report if incorrect?
If you require to submit an amended report to the ATO, select the Generate Taxable Payments as ‘Amended’ option in the Process Taxable Payments annual report window.
Select the supplier that has been amended from the list and click Create Report.
Get a FREE 30 min answer to your query, and FREE ongoing email or phone support – no-one offers as much!
Call and you also get FREE “Avoid these GST mistakes” – There’s 18 that the Tax Office see regularly – get them right!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0407 361 596 Australia