Businesses in the building and construction industries need to know how to report Taxable Payments Annual Report (TPAR) – so how do we set up the Reckon/Quickbooks file, how do we generate the report and when is the due date to report?
We start with the ATO requirements, then how to set up and create the report in Reckon/Quickbooks.
Taxable payments reporting – building and construction industry
Businesses in the building and construction industry need to report the total payments they make to each contractor for building and construction services each year.
You need to report these payments to us on the Taxable payments annual report by 28 August each year.
To make it easier to complete the annual report, you may need to check the way you currently record your contractor payment information.
The information reported about payments made to building and construction contractors is used in our data matching program to detect contractors who have not either:
- lodged tax returns
- included all their income on tax returns that have been lodged.
Reckon/Quickbooks – The steps to set up and generate the report are –
1 . Enable the Taxable Payment Reporting option in the preference to be able to open the report
- Go to the Edit menu, choose Preferences.
- Choose the Tax item and go to the Company Preferences tab.
- In the Taxable Payment Report section, click to select the Enable the Taxable Payment Reporting option.
- Click OK.
2. Enable a supplier (sub-contractor) to become reportable on the Taxable Payment report
- Go to the Suppliers menu and choose Supplier Centre.
- On the Suppliers tab, double click the supplier’s name to open the supplier’s profile.
- Click to select the “Include in Taxable Payments electronic report” option.
- Click OK.
3. How do I create this report to have what I need to write on the ATO form?
- Go to the Suppliers menu, click Tax Activities, click Process Taxable Payments.
The Process Taxable Payments annual report window opens.
- Click the Tax Year drop-down to select the tax year you are reporting on.
- If applicable, click the Withholding Liability Account drop-down to select the account you use to track withholding tax.
- Click the (tick) column to select the selected suppliers that you want to appear in the selected tax year’s report.
- Click the supplier to view the transactions for each supplier that are included in the report.
The Supplier Taxable Payments Details – <supplier name> window opens.
- You can review each transaction and click to deselect if you don’t want it included.
- Click OK.
- Click Save to save the changes (if you have made them) in the Process Taxable Payments annual report window.
- Click Export to save the report to your disk. The Select Location for Tax Payment Report File window opens. Enter a file name for the report, we recommend using the date in the file name.
The default location for the file is \\ProgramData\Intuit\ReckonAccounts 2013\<level> 2013\<Company Name>\Export Files\Tax Payment Reports. For Reckon Accounts Hosted users, the default location is “Q:\ “
- Click Save. You will receive a message that the file has been successfully written. If you have electronic key, you can upload the file to your ATO portal
Note: If you make any changes to the data whilst the Taxable Payments Annual Report Window is open, the report needs to be closed and reopened for it to refresh.
4. How do you Amend the TPAR report if incorrect?
If you require to submit an amended report to the ATO, select the Generate Taxable Payments as ‘Amended’ option in the Process Taxable Payments annual report window.
Select the supplier that has been amended from the list and click Create Report.
Get a FREE 30 min answer to your query, and FREE ongoing email or phone support – No-one offers as much! Call and you also get FREE “Avoid these GST mistakes” – There’s 18 that the Tax Office see regularly – Get them right!
Email email@example.com or call 0407 361 596 Australia