Business Tax Tips – What are Input-Taxed sales and supplies or purchases?

Business Tax Tips – What are Input-Taxed sales and supplies or purchases?
Business Tax Tips – What are Input-Taxed sales and supplies or purchases?

A lady rang – and said she heard some comments and wondered what are Input-Taxed Sales and Supplies/Purchases were.

Answer – Input-Taxed refers to when a supplier CANNOT charge GST and also cannot claim GST on the sale.

On the ATO web site it tells us

Input-taxed sales are sales of goods and services that don’t include GST in the price, You can’t claim GST credits for the GST included in the price of your ‘inputs’.

The most common input-taxed sales are financial supplies (such as lending money or the provision of credit for a fee) and selling or renting out residential premises.

Follow the links below for more information about:

Financial supplies

Financial supplies are input-taxed sales and do not have GST in their price.

You generally make a financial supply when you do any of the following:

    • Lend or borrow money;
    • Grant credit to a customer;
    • Buy or sell shares or other securities;
    • Create, transfer, assign or receive an interest in, or a right under, a superannuation fund;
    • Provide or receive credit under a hire purchase agreement entered into before 1 July 2012, if the credit is provided for a separate charge that is disclosed to the purchaser. (For hire purchase agreements entered into after 30 June 2012, the provision of credit is taxable.)

In special cases, you may be entitled to claim a GST credit for a purchase that you use to make a financial supply if any of the following applies:

    • You do not exceed the ‘financial acquisitions threshold’;
    • Your purchase relates to an amount you borrowed and used to make a non-input-taxed supply;
    • Your purchase qualifies as a ‘reduced credit acquisition’ – you will be entitled to a reduced input tax credit.

Residential premises

Generally, selling or renting existing residential premises are input-taxed sales and do not include GST. However, if the residential premise is considered ‘new’, it is a taxable sale and GST is applicable.

If you buy property – old or new – with the intention of selling it at a profit or developing it to sell, you may be considered to be carrying on a business and may be required to register for GST.

Generally, you are not considered to be carrying on a business if your property transactions are for private purposes such as when you are constructing or selling your family home.

There is further information at these links:

Get a FREE 30 min answer to your query, and FREE ongoing email or phone support – No-one offers as much! Call and you also get FREE “Avoid these GST mistakes” – There’s 18 that the Tax Office see regularly – Get them right!

Email or call 0407 361 596 Australia

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close