If you are a business in the building and construction industries, you may be wondering how to generate in MYOB a Taxable Payments Annual Report (TPAR) – and when is the due date?
Here we look at what the 1. Australian Tax Office (ATO) requires and how to 2. the steps to set up and generate a Taxable Payments Annual Report from MYOB Account Right software.
1. ATO Requirements
Note – For the latest up-to-date ATO links (they occasionally change) see our latest post on TPAR – Taxable Payments Annual Report – go HERE!
From the ATO website latest page 19 June 2015 –
Taxable payments reporting – building and construction industry
In March 2015 we updated:
When to report – The due date for lodging the Taxable payments annual report is by 28 August each year.
Businesses in the building and construction industry need to report the total payments they make to each contractor for building and construction services each year.
You need to report these payments to us on the Taxable payments annual report.
To make it easier to complete the annual report, you may need to check the way you currently record your contractor payment information.
Taxable payments reporting for businesses in the building and construction industry aims to improve compliance with tax obligations by those contractors who are currently not doing the right thing.
The information reported about payments made to contractors is used in our data matching program to detect contractors who have not:
· lodged tax returns, or
· included all their income on tax returns that have been lodged.
2. MYOB – The steps to set up and generate the report are –
How to track reportable payments in AccountRight
Once you select the contractor payments option in the Preferences window (Setup > Preferences > Reports & Forms tab), you can start marking transactions as reportable. You can mark:
- Spend Money payments made to suppliers as reportable. You can also set up a supplier so that any payments for them are automatically included in reporting.
- Bills and Orders recorded for suppliers. Payments received against these transactions will be included in the report.
You can then generate a report that will help you complete the ATO forms, or create a report file you can lodge electronically.
Lodging your report electronically
You can lodge your report electronically, using the ATO’s Business Portal. If you haven’t already set up access to the Business Portal, you should do this before the end of the financial year so you’ll be ready to lodge the report when it’s due. See the ATO website for more information.
Set the reporting preference
- Go to the Setup menu > Preferences. The Preferences window appears.
- Click the Reports & Forms tab and select the preference, I Report Taxable Payments Made to Contractors.
- Click OK.
Whenever you record a Spend Money or purchase transaction, the Reportable Payment option will appear in the transaction window. Select this option to mark the transaction as being a reportable payment.
- Set up suppliers to report
- Go to the Card File command centre and click Cards List. The Cards List window appears.
- Click the Supplier tab.
- Click the zoom arrow of the card you want to set up. The Card Information window appears.
- Click the Buying Details tab.
- Select Report Taxable Payments. In the message that appears, choose whether to report any existing transactions for the supplier for the current financial year. Note that you can later remove payments from reporting.
- Click OK. The Cards List window reappears. Whenever the card is selected in a Spend Money or purchase transaction, the transaction is marked as reportable by default.
To report taxable payments
- Go to the Purchases command centre and click Report Taxable Payments. The Taxable Payments Assistant opens.
- Click Next. The Company Information window appears.
- Enter any company information that doesn’t appear by default.
- Click Next. The Review window appears.
In this window, you can click Review Your Transactions to:
a. Review all transactions marked as reportable.
b. Change the reporting status of transactions.
- Click Next. The Create window appears.
- Click View Taxable Payments Report. The Taxable Payments Annual Report (Detail) report appears. You can use the report to help you complete your ATO forms, or to keep for your records.
- If you’re lodging the Taxable Payments Annual Report file:
a. Click Create Taxable Payments File. The Save As window appears..
b. Select the location to store the file and click Save.
- Click Finish to close the assistant.
Need help? Not sure? Call for FREE 30min advice / Strategy session today!
Call 0407 361 596 Aust and also get FREE “Avoid these GST mistakes” – There’s 18 that the Tax Office see regularly – Get them right!