Your Item List contains all your stock lines. As time progresses, you may find that your item list becomes out of date and contains items that are no longer needed.
Deleting items is easy and speeds up your business processes by reducing the number of unwanted items displayed in the list.
This support note explains the conditions an item must meet in order to be deleted.
How do I delete unwanted items from the Item List?
Deleting unwanted items is a quick 3 step process:
- Go to the Inventory command centre and click Item List.
- Click the zoom arrow for the item you want to delete.
- Go to the Edit menu and choose Delete item.
Alerts – Problems when trying to delete
When I try to delete an item, I get an alert which prevents the item from being deleted. What does this mean?
There are several reasons why the software will prevent the deletion of an unwanted item. Under these circumstances, an alert will be displayed, indicating why the item cannot be deleted.
Deleting this item would affect the internal operation of the company file, so the software will prevent its deletion.
Two main things prevent deleting of an item.
1. Item is used in a recurring transaction template
Alert message: You have recurring sales or purchases on file for this item.
An unwanted item can’t be deleted if it is linked to a recurring transaction.
Finding the linked recurring transaction is usually quite easy. For instance, an unwanted item will most likely be linked to a recurring sales template. To identify the template go to the Lists menu, choose Recurring Transactions and then look at each recurring transaction to try and identify where this item is being used.
Once identified, highlight the transaction and then click Delete.
Reports that will identify recurring transactions:
- Recurring Sales Transaction – To access this report, go to the Sales command centre and click Reports. You can also Customise this report for recurring purchases templates.
- Recurring Purchase Transactions – To access this report, go to the Purchases command centre and click Reports. You can also customise this report for recurring sales templates.
- The recurring transactions can be opened from within these reports by clicking them. A transaction will then be displayed and you will be able to see if the template uses the unwanted item. If it doesn’t, click cancel and then open the next template.
2. Item is used in a current transaction
Alert message: You have journal entries on file that use this item.
A current transaction is one that can still be accessed through the Transaction Journal. Unwanted items can’t be deleted if they are linked to a current transaction. The Item Transactions report will enable you to quickly find all the transactions associated with a particular item.
To view this report, from the Inventory command centre, click Reports and choose Item Transactions. Click Customise and select the relevant item, Source Journal (select All ) and date range then click Display.
To delete the item, the transactions linked to it must have three things occur:
- Be closed or have a $0.00 balance (Invoices and Bills).
- Have all associated Receive Payments, Pay Bills, Receive Money and Spend Money transactions reconciled.
- The Current Financial year needs to be later than the financial year in which the payment or receipt was reconciled.
To check your company file’s Current Financial Year, go to the Setup menu and choose Company Information. To check the reconciliation date of a particular transaction, run the Bank Register report and customise it to include the Reconciled Date column.
Note: Closed and reconciled transactions are purged from the company file when rolling over the financial year. When a transaction is purged, its link to an item is removed, freeing the item for deletion.
Are there other options that will enable me to delete an item linked to one or more a transactions?
You have the following options:
- Close open Invoices or Bills associated with the unwanted item, reconcile the payment, then rollover the financial year.
- Reconcile any banking transactions associated with the unwanted item, then roll over the financial year.
If you are not ready to roll over the financial year, you can set the item to Inactive, then delete it when the financial year has been rolled over.
To select an item as inactive, open the item, click the Profile tab and select the Inactive Item option.
Delete the transactions to which the unwanted item is linked.
Note: This also applies to Orders and Quotes.
For on-site support contact Paul, your local MYOB Certified Consultant:
Call Paul at Account Keeping Plus 0407 361 596