The Australian Tax Office (ATO) announced this year 2011 a crackdown on GST liabilities.
The ATO is chasing:
- Late BAS lodgers;
- Incorrect information in the BAS;
- GST evasion;
- GST debts owed to the ATO;
- Not registering for GST when required to do so;
- Persistently exploiting bankruptcy;
- Colluding with others to avoid GST.
It seems that you fall into the first category. I’m sorry to say that there’s only one thing you can do. Lodge your BAS.
Given the ATO’s current aggressive revenue collection activity – it has never been more important to speak to your accountant and advisers. Why persist with struggling along, when your accountant can take care of things for you.
How does the ATO know who to target?
The obvious ways the ATO gets information are:
- Failure to comply with lodgement deadlines;
- Failure to pay off GST liabilities on time;
- Data matching with other government authorities;
- Small Business Benchmarks. (Note the benchmarks were withdrawn in April 2011)
See crackdown on GST
Have you had to deal with the ATO on GST liabilities? Tell us your story.