A client had a sale dated 24 june 11 that was not required. Whether to delete a sale in previous tax year that is incorrect depends on whether the accountant has/is working on that year end.
- If the accountant doesn’t have the accounts, then it is OK to delete
- If the accountant has the accounts for the year end, DON’T delete the sale – don’t change ANYTHING prior to 30 june, as the accounts will not be the same as the accountant is using! – reverse the sale from 1 july as follows –
- create another invoice dated 1/7/2011 for the same amount but with a negative, even if just a Service invoice (from Layout at bottom of invoice) – then
- open the Sales Register >Returns & Credits, highlight the sale just created >Apply to Sale (at the bottom of the screen),
- enter date as 1/7/2011 in the Settle Returns & Credits screen, ensure the amount is applied to the invoice 24/6/11 so they will cancel each other