If you get print errors with numbers from -5 to 5, these are low-level system errors from Windows. They are NOT error messages from your accounting software – those errors all have 4 digits. They range from not having enough hard drive space to a corrupt print driver.
There must be a printer driver installed, whether or not you are using a printer, to allow reports to be displayed in your software.
What are the common errors? The printer error messages shown below are Windows system related errors.
|-5||Not enough memory|
|-4||Out of disk space|
|-3||User cancelled print|
|1||Printer not named (default printer settings in Windows Control Panel)|
|2||Print driver not specified (default printer settings in Windows Control Panel)|
|3||Print port not specified (default printer settings in Windows Control Panel)|
|4||Name of printer driver too long – device in WIN.INI (if line is longer than 80 characters you will get this error)|
|5||Create DC call unsuccessful (DC = Display Context). This can occur in printing to the printer or the screen. You may receive this error message, “Call to create DC failed, error #5.” If you are printing to the screen or printer this can be caused by not having a suitable video driver, or printer driver, or having Port as None in the windows section of the WIN.INI file. You will receive this message when you attempt to open/print without a printer attached. Also make sure you have a printer driver installed on your computer.Note: MYOB support note Printer Error 5 when using Windows Vista or Windows 7 contains information specific to Windows Vista and Windows 7.|
Any other printer error with a number other than -5 to 5 is totally specific to the manufacturer’s printer or printer driver software. These errors can be found in the Printer Manual or you can contact the printer manufacturer for support.
- Ensure a default printer is specified in Windows.
- Windows XP: Click the Windows Start button and choose Printers and Faxes. Right-click your default printer and choose Set as Default Printer.
- Windows 7: Click the Windows Start button and choose Devices and Printers. Right-click your default printer and choose Set as Default Printer.
- Check how much free space is on the Hard Disk Drive (500MB is a realistic minimum).
- Reinstall the printer driver through the Windows Control Panel. MYOB support note Reinstalling a printer driver in Windows 98/2000/XP/7 has instructions for this.
- Defragment the Hard Disk Drive:
- Click the Windows Start button and choose All Programs, then choose Accessories, then choose System Tools then choose Disk Defragmenter.
- Click the C: drive then click Defragment (or Defragment disk).
- If you have a Dot Matrix or an Ink Jet (NOT CANON) you can try to use the Generic/Text Only Driver.
- Laser printers should try an HP4L. CANON Printers MUST use a Canon driver, for example BJ10ex
For more assistance, call for a free phone discussion +61 407 361 596